Fishing Reports (by date)

Below you can find comments/fishing reports about places to fish in Assynt in date order (most recent first).
You can also see general comments left on the site, and all comments/fishing reports aggregated together.

• Fionn Loch
    36 weeks 6 days ago
    Absolutely brilliant! Went and visited Peter to get the permits sorted then myself and a friend headed up for some camping and boat fishing. First day I caught 11 and he had 2, second day was 20 for me and 10 for him with many others missed/lost including a Char hooked right into the boat by my friend that shook the hook as it was being brought up. Seen it though, nice and pink, chubby looking fish, took a pennell/zulu cross after it had been left to sink then retrieved. No fish bigger than the pound but plenty sport and great fun and memories made in front of Suilven. Lost a landing net in the water off the boat though, so if you end up fishing the far bank opposite the boat with a sinking line, you may hook yourself a prize! Flies used and accepted readily were Pennell/Zulu wet, Sedges (deer hair, daddy long legs and a yellow/red winged one) Bibio, Soldier Palmer, Mayfly emerger and as it was getting dark I used a white minnow wet fly which landed one and had three offers. Surprisingly small fish showing hard carnivorous tendencies up here! We have found our anglers paradise and will most definitely be back! David & Adam.
  • Loch an Arbhair
    39 weeks 10 hours ago
    I was back at this loch on July 2017, and there was little improvement in access - the fence had been broken down a bit more, presumably by frustrated bank anglers.There was a strong East wind, so I fished the east bank from 9:30 till 11pm. I hooked and lost a trout on a debarbed teal red and silver mini-lure, and I landed one on a black mini-lure (returned).
  • Loch Leitir Easidh
    39 weeks 10 hours ago
    On a bright sunny and warm (27C) July 2017 day, I decided to fish this loch moving up the east bank from the jetty. Immediately I realised the difference in an area protected by deer fencing - the heather and thyme was nearly waist high, and fishing from the bank was extremely difficult. I landed one small trout on a yellow palmer, and I hooked another very lively trout which took to the air and released itself from a debarbed black mini-lure. But I spent much of my time untangling my line from the heather. I don't know what the wading is like - I was wearing boots. On the following day (wednesday), there were gale force winds - so no fishing, but these moderated on the thursday, dropping to a near calm at times, so I decided to try the boat on this loch in the afternoon and evening. The boat is extremely stable, and is moored beside a jetty - so there is no need to pull it down from a bank - which can sometimes defeat a sole angler. But the rowlocks and the (new) oars were not ideal. I found that I needed to row with my hands uncomfortably high to bite the water, and on attempting to apply significant force, the oars jumped out of the rowlocks. I talked to Peter about this, and he advised starting off gently, and letting the speed of the boat build up, without the need to apply much force. I found little interest to flies pulled across the surface, and only started to contact fish when I let my flies sink slowly (on an intermediate line). I landed, and returned 5 trout, one of which was the blackest trout I have experienced. I carried out most of my fishing up the far end and along the east spur. I had most success with a size 12 long shank teal red and silver.
  • 39 weeks 10 hours ago
    Back again in July 2017, I fished this loch in a strong SW wind for a couple of hours in late evening. The wind limited the area I was able to fish, and I caught (and released) one 3-to-a-pound trout, plus had many tweaks from tiddlers
  • 39 weeks 10 hours ago
    I fished Lexy's Loch on the afternoon (noon to 6pm) of Monday 27th July 2017. There was a very strong WSW wind, so I restricted myself to the south bank, mainly up the east end. There was a large wave, and casting across-wind was tricky. Unusually, I touched no fish. I would probably have had better luck in the evening when the wind moderated - but I was off surveying other lochs.
  • Loch Cul Fraoich
    42 weeks 6 days ago
    Couple of hours in cold, windy and bright conditions, which are far from ideal for this loch. Absolutely nothing showing and not so much as a take (two of us fishing). Dour!
  • Loch Cul Fraoich
    42 weeks 6 days ago
    Followed advice that this loch fishes best morning and evening, and fished here from 9pm to 11pm. Caught a nice trout of around half a pound on an Invicta retrieved quickly, from the peninsula near the north shore. The fish jumped out of the water 6 times during the fight!
  • Loch an Ruighein
    44 weeks 4 hours ago
    Fished this loch from the boat on June 14th June. A quiet morning with light winds, quite overcast and I was in fear of the midges coming out until the breeze freshened at lunchtime and a hatch of mayflies got underway! I must have caught about 18-20 trout (lost count) in the afternoon, and should have done better as I missed plenty more. The largest were about 12 oz. Used barbless hooks and returned everything safely. I fished here many years ago and caught nothing, but this made up for that day! Great sport. Colin Fionn
  • Loch Na Claise
    44 weeks 4 days ago
    Fished here in overcast windy conditions and caught a lovely fish of about 1lb where the burn enters the loch in the north east corner, on a G&H sedge.
  • 44 weeks 6 days ago
    Visited PM on 29 May 2017 (after fishing Lexy's AM). This, for me, is a beautiful loch with so many places to fish. Well worth the climb. I lost count of the fish caught - well over 20, all returned. Unfortunately smaller than I hoped being 6 - 8oz, however, I only fished the southern end. Perhaps (with hindsight) I should have gone further northwards where it widens and maybe found larger fish. I experimented with numerous flies and they all worked. These fish were not fussy.
  • 44 weeks 6 days ago
    29 May 2017. Fished the north shore in the morning. Slow going, the wind oscillating SE/SW unhelpful, but the sheltered south shore was glassy so I fished the ripple. Two fish of 12oz on Black Pennel and Silver Butcher - taken. Fished here about the same time last year and took two larger fish of around 1lb. After lunch followed the wire fence up the hill to Loch Poll - see separate report.
  • 47 weeks 6 days ago
    23rd May 2017 - very, very windy, swirling. Not the best day for to go to Bealach Cornaidh for the first time. Second mistake was not taking waders. Couldn't fish half of loch. Left early after catching (and releasing) eight fish, best 1/2 pound but most well under, one very thin. Small hatch of black flies - chironomid? Fish not fussy as long as it was small and black! MalcR Inverness
  • 50 weeks 3 days ago
    Suspect I was a little early in the year (4th May) but we'd had some good warm, sunny days albeit with a cold wind. Cathel was spot on with the time to the Loch, even for someone over 60 though it is a testing walk. The day was sunny with blue sky and very strong cool wind from north-east. First fished un-named lochan to the north and did better than on main Loch. I suspect that as it was smaller than the main Loch it had warmed up quicker. There were some olives hatching and I saw several rises, lost one good one but landed another 2 just over the pound, both returned. On the main Loch there were no rises, and no fly life hatching. The strong wind restricted where a "leftie" could fish so concentrated on South-west shore. Touched nothing until I spoke out and said that I would have one last cast. At literally that moment a fish was hooked. Was over 1lb but not 2lb. My most successful method was with a small nymph dressed with a tiny tungsten bead on point and let the flies swing round on their own in the waves. Wide range of patterns tried. A bit disappointing re fish seen but that's fishing and I will be back once things warm up a bit and my legs have recovered. With good views of hinds, golden plover, grouse, a lizard and wheatears it was still another great day in Assynt.
  • 50 weeks 6 days ago
    Very difficult loch to fish due to the clarity of the water. Best fished on a day with little wind and preferably from the north or north-east as swirling winds in the corrie can make casting near impossible. A single dry fly just allowed to drift in the ripple has been my most successful method.
  • 52 weeks 12 hours ago
    Was up here last year (2016) in early May - a very bright, warm week that came immediately after heavy snowfall the week before. Climbed up to this loch without realising it was the Red Corrie - only read about it's noteriety (and that of it's near neighbour) after getting back home to Northumberland. As previous posters state it's fiersomely windy in the bowl of the mountain and it was almost impossible to get a line out further than a few feet. Was fishing dries - mostly small sedgehog types - on the way up in the smaller lochans that lie below the Red Corrie and got three or four to 1/2 pound (all returned safely). But sadly nothing showing at the Red Corrie itself - perhaps a combination of early in the season and the recent snow. However the location, the view and the crystal clear water were alone worth the effort of the climb. A truly breath-taking and stunning place. I'd say make the effort if the weather is good but be prepared to catch the view and not much else if the wind is up.
  • 1 year 5 days ago
    After a long drive from Glasgow, we did some late afternoon fishing at the Dog Loch. It was a bit windy (coming from north-west) but the surrounding hills gave shelter on the northern bank. After about an hour moving slowly away from the 'road-side' of the loch we got a 3/4 lb brown trout (northeast corner of the lake, deeper spot by a cliff). Nice meal for one person!
  • 1 year 8 weeks ago
    First visit to this Loch...we were staying at a caravan in Stoer during Easter of 1983 We fished in the last of the daylight into darkness and had a great time..... 12 trout up to 3lbs. I returned again and again and the fishing has been dour. Still hoping to recapture that first time.
  • Maiden Loch
    1 year 9 weeks ago
    i have fished this loch many times during the last 5 years ,as my first day up at loch inver ,as after a 5 and half drive up .i always start with a visit to a roadside loch .last year in september i caught my biggest trout from maiden loch ,a nice one just under the 1lb mark and loads of 8oz to 10oz,always fish point fly blue teal,dropper 1 olive bumble and a muddler ,when theres a chop on water a small black muddler deadly,night mare when midges are about.
  • 1 year 10 weeks ago
    Fished here June 2016 biggest fish 1 1/2 pounds, some smaller fish but then the loch turned a bit dooer as is normal here, all fish safely returned to water, fish were caught on a gold headed Daddy long legs, great sport.
  • Loch Borralan
    1 year 11 weeks ago
    Fished loch borralan in August 2016, it was perfect with us staying in the alt inn just across the road the water was quite dark and we manged to catch plenty of well fed spotted brown trout the biggest being 14 inch. The average size of the trout in borralan is very good with most being just under 1 lbs. The morning was slow dad on a sinking line caught 1, 8 incher while grandad was wet flies floating Line and I was dry flies floating line and had a couple of small takes. While dad went to make the sandwiches, grandad wanted a row and I saw a few sedges popping up so fished a dry green wells glory and on the first cast caught a 1lbs fat trout that was a cracking fighter. After lunch grandad had a nap and me and dad went out for some for some fishing at the south west corner of the loch form the reeds round to the shallow rocks and after a bit of fun on terrestrial dries we took grandad out for a bit and he had two fish before the sun went down. We caught the fish mostly on the Kate Mclarens and a few on green wells glory and a brown dry fly that was quite big. it was cloudy and a bit windy too.
  • 1 year 11 weeks ago
    Fished here in August 2015 with my dad and my grandad. It was good conditions with cloud and quite a bit of a ripple so we trolled out between the islands and did a few drifts from the river mouth to the islands between us we caught 4, 8-9 inch brown trout and a dark coloured 11 inch brownie with a big head ( probably predatory). Also at the other end of the loch a tiny salmon parr which picked up my Arthur's olive, they are beautiful. I started off fishing a Kate mclaren on a dropper and an Arthur's olive on the point and had a few fish but as the sun started to go down over Sullivan grandad was getting cold so we put him in the car and had 1 last session with some daddy long legs which was great fun then we went back for a cosy night at the alt inn after dad grandad had had a dram or two.
  • 1 year 30 weeks ago
    We didn't get any fish today; it definitely was a 'dog' to fish but it was a fun trip. The whole family was down and they loved it except for the fact that we caught no fish. My account receivable solutions job keeps me busy, gonna too long without any good catches. We will be making a trip to Achiltibuie lochs soon
  • 1 year 31 weeks ago
    Had an interesting few hours fishing on the loch. The wind from the SW changed from putting a nice ripple on the water to gale force in the 3 hours I was there. Still managed 2 fish around the half pound mark on a Black Gnat dry and the other a Bibio. Surroundings are stunning and an enjoyable walk in. Look forward to going back on a calmer evening next year.
  • Loch Na Claise
    1 year 33 weeks ago
    Windy and a bit rainy meant that boat fishing was a little tricky, especially having left the drogue at home... Nonetheless 6 fish between the two of us, with some very nice, fit and fat trout. The fish seem really healthy and had three hen fish bursting with eggs, all returned.
  • 1 year 33 weeks ago
    Grabbed a couple of hours on the dog loch. One nice fish of a pound a half to a deer hair sedge. A few splashy rises but died when wind dropped. A large army of midges waited in ambush at the mooring on return.