Fishing Reports (by date)

Below you can find comments/fishing reports about places to fish in Assynt in date order (most recent first).
You can also see general comments left on the site, and all comments/fishing reports aggregated together.

• 6 weeks 2 days ago
    Just following up this post about ticks. For advice and a free tick removal tool, go to: https://www.highland.gov.uk/info/1211/animal_welfare_and_pest_control/64... Not sure if they're worse than normal this year - what's people's experience? Adam
  • 6 weeks 2 days ago
    I fished this loch for an hour in late evening on 23/5/18. There was a moderate East wind, and I restricted my casting to the south west corner. I landed 4 fish ranging from 2 to 8oz on a size 12 with a silver body, red tag tail and teal wing. On my way back to the road I stumbled and fell in the heather. On the following day I discovered that my legs were covered in lumps from tiny ticks, which my wife carefully removed. I usually wear waterproof over-trousers which make it difficult for ticks to get a grip, but this time I was careless, and didn't wear them.
  • Loch Assynt
    6 weeks 2 days ago
    Monday 21/5/18 - a very wet start to the day.In the evening I tried bank fishing on Loch Assynt along where the road goes up to Kylesku. A stream enters at this point, so I tried (fly) casting around this area. One splash, but no takes. I headed out to the nearby point. but found that the rocks were lethally slippy, so I returned back along to where the boats are usually moored, and eventually hooked one small trout. Maybe at this time of year the fish are lying further out in the deeper water
  • 6 weeks 2 days ago
    On Saturday 19/5/18 I headed for Loch Poll an Droighinn. It was mild, but with a strong SW wind, and I fished from 11am to 4pm. The wind made casting impractical from the north and east banks, so I restricted most of my fishing to the west bank. I landed a sizeable (almost a pound?) trout on a longshank teal red and silver, and I lost a similar one when it leapt and cast off the debarbed hook. However I didn't get any offers from the smaller fish that usually inhabit this loch. There was a solitary great northern diver on the loch. On 22/5/18 I headed off in mid afternoon back to Loch Poll an Droighinn. It was overcast with a strong east wind, so I fished the south and east banks. Once again I landed a lovely trout in the pound class, and later a much smaller trout. The great northern diver had gone, but a pair of black-throated divers flew in, and they seemed as interested in me as I was in them. Indeed they came so close that I had to stop casting in their direction. Following advice from a local, I looked over to the small un-named loch to the north-east, but I didn't risk my flies in the shallow reedy water. I then dropped back down to Lexy's loch - report elsewhere.
  • 6 weeks 3 days ago
    Back in Lochinver for a week's fishing. Off to Lexy's loch in mid afternoon of 18/5/18. There was brisk West wind, with a slight rain which disappeared and there were glimpses of Sun. I fished the South Bank - there was a fair wave, and no fish moving. Around 6pm at the far SE end a lovely trout took a size 12 fly (metallic green body, silver rib, tippet tail and black hackle). It was about the length of a pounder, but possibly a bit too slim to make a full pound. Then later, back half way along the South bank, I hooked another similar sized trout on a Teal Red and Silver longshank 12. I finished around 8:30pm Once again off to Lexy's loch in late afternoon on 20/5/18. It was rainy with a SW wind, so I fished the South bank. I landed a trout in the pound class, and lost another similar trout when it leapt and lost the debarbed hook. Both took the Teal red and silver. I also landed a tiddler and another small fish (unusual for Lexy's Loch). On 22/5/18 I fished the loch above Lexy's, (Loch Poll an Droiginn), and in the evening I dropped down to Lexy's Loch, and with a strong, cold, east wind, I fished the North East bank, but had no takes. All fish safely returned.
  • 6 weeks 3 days ago
    One of the problems of fishing alone is the difficulty of using a boat. Most of the boats need at least two persons to drag them from the bank into the water, and vice versa. However the two boats on the Little Assynt all abilities path are more easily handled. Last year I took the boat on Loch Leitir Easidh, since it is moored conveniently beside a landing stage. This year on 17/5/18 I visited Peter to request the same boat, but it had not yet been launched, however I was offered the boat on Loch na h-Innse Fraoich. This is moored up on a ramp, and is relatively easy to launch, but it did require a bit manhandling to return it at the end of the day. The boat is excellent, but is suffers the same problem as the boat on Loch Leitir Easidh - the oars are too short, and are difficult to prevent jumping out of the rowlocks. This time I was prepared - and tied cord across the top of the rowlocks. I fished from about 5pm to 10pm. There was very little breeze, and splashes began to show as the sun went down. I tried a variety of flies, but the most successful were mini streamer files tied on debarbed longshank size 12 hooks. The most favoured had a black body, silver rib, black wing and red throat. It usually received attention if presented near a rising fish. The 8 fish landed (and released) were all small, and thin - probably around 4 to the pound. As the season progresses they probably will become three to a pound fish. HD
  • Lochan Sgeireach
    7 weeks 19 hours ago
    May 31st 2018 Evenfull day bright. Red throated divers still there. Two fish one 1lb half biggest 6half pound taken on a Conamara dabbled ,other CDC
  • Fionn Loch
    49 weeks 2 days ago
    Absolutely brilliant! Went and visited Peter to get the permits sorted then myself and a friend headed up for some camping and boat fishing. First day I caught 11 and he had 2, second day was 20 for me and 10 for him with many others missed/lost including a Char hooked right into the boat by my friend that shook the hook as it was being brought up. Seen it though, nice and pink, chubby looking fish, took a pennell/zulu cross after it had been left to sink then retrieved. No fish bigger than the pound but plenty sport and great fun and memories made in front of Suilven. Lost a landing net in the water off the boat though, so if you end up fishing the far bank opposite the boat with a sinking line, you may hook yourself a prize! Flies used and accepted readily were Pennell/Zulu wet, Sedges (deer hair, daddy long legs and a yellow/red winged one) Bibio, Soldier Palmer, Mayfly emerger and as it was getting dark I used a white minnow wet fly which landed one and had three offers. Surprisingly small fish showing hard carnivorous tendencies up here! We have found our anglers paradise and will most definitely be back! David & Adam.
  • Loch an Arbhair
    51 weeks 4 days ago
    I was back at this loch on July 2017, and there was little improvement in access - the fence had been broken down a bit more, presumably by frustrated bank anglers.There was a strong East wind, so I fished the east bank from 9:30 till 11pm. I hooked and lost a trout on a debarbed teal red and silver mini-lure, and I landed one on a black mini-lure (returned).
  • Loch Leitir Easidh
    51 weeks 4 days ago
    On a bright sunny and warm (27C) July 2017 day, I decided to fish this loch moving up the east bank from the jetty. Immediately I realised the difference in an area protected by deer fencing - the heather and thyme was nearly waist high, and fishing from the bank was extremely difficult. I landed one small trout on a yellow palmer, and I hooked another very lively trout which took to the air and released itself from a debarbed black mini-lure. But I spent much of my time untangling my line from the heather. I don't know what the wading is like - I was wearing boots. On the following day (wednesday), there were gale force winds - so no fishing, but these moderated on the thursday, dropping to a near calm at times, so I decided to try the boat on this loch in the afternoon and evening. The boat is extremely stable, and is moored beside a jetty - so there is no need to pull it down from a bank - which can sometimes defeat a sole angler. But the rowlocks and the (new) oars were not ideal. I found that I needed to row with my hands uncomfortably high to bite the water, and on attempting to apply significant force, the oars jumped out of the rowlocks. I talked to Peter about this, and he advised starting off gently, and letting the speed of the boat build up, without the need to apply much force. I found little interest to flies pulled across the surface, and only started to contact fish when I let my flies sink slowly (on an intermediate line). I landed, and returned 5 trout, one of which was the blackest trout I have experienced. I carried out most of my fishing up the far end and along the east spur. I had most success with a size 12 long shank teal red and silver.
  • 51 weeks 4 days ago
    Back again in July 2017, I fished this loch in a strong SW wind for a couple of hours in late evening. The wind limited the area I was able to fish, and I caught (and released) one 3-to-a-pound trout, plus had many tweaks from tiddlers
  • 51 weeks 4 days ago
    I fished Lexy's Loch on the afternoon (noon to 6pm) of Monday 27th July 2017. There was a very strong WSW wind, so I restricted myself to the south bank, mainly up the east end. There was a large wave, and casting across-wind was tricky. Unusually, I touched no fish. I would probably have had better luck in the evening when the wind moderated - but I was off surveying other lochs.
  • Loch Cul Fraoich
    1 year 3 weeks ago
    Couple of hours in cold, windy and bright conditions, which are far from ideal for this loch. Absolutely nothing showing and not so much as a take (two of us fishing). Dour!
  • Loch Cul Fraoich
    1 year 3 weeks ago
    Followed advice that this loch fishes best morning and evening, and fished here from 9pm to 11pm. Caught a nice trout of around half a pound on an Invicta retrieved quickly, from the peninsula near the north shore. The fish jumped out of the water 6 times during the fight!
  • Loch an Ruighein
    1 year 4 weeks ago
    Fished this loch from the boat on June 14th June. A quiet morning with light winds, quite overcast and I was in fear of the midges coming out until the breeze freshened at lunchtime and a hatch of mayflies got underway! I must have caught about 18-20 trout (lost count) in the afternoon, and should have done better as I missed plenty more. The largest were about 12 oz. Used barbless hooks and returned everything safely. I fished here many years ago and caught nothing, but this made up for that day! Great sport. Colin Fionn
  • Loch Na Claise
    1 year 5 weeks ago
    Fished here in overcast windy conditions and caught a lovely fish of about 1lb where the burn enters the loch in the north east corner, on a G&H sedge.
  • 1 year 5 weeks ago
    Visited PM on 29 May 2017 (after fishing Lexy's AM). This, for me, is a beautiful loch with so many places to fish. Well worth the climb. I lost count of the fish caught - well over 20, all returned. Unfortunately smaller than I hoped being 6 - 8oz, however, I only fished the southern end. Perhaps (with hindsight) I should have gone further northwards where it widens and maybe found larger fish. I experimented with numerous flies and they all worked. These fish were not fussy.
  • 1 year 5 weeks ago
    29 May 2017. Fished the north shore in the morning. Slow going, the wind oscillating SE/SW unhelpful, but the sheltered south shore was glassy so I fished the ripple. Two fish of 12oz on Black Pennel and Silver Butcher - taken. Fished here about the same time last year and took two larger fish of around 1lb. After lunch followed the wire fence up the hill to Loch Poll - see separate report.
  • 1 year 8 weeks ago
    23rd May 2017 - very, very windy, swirling. Not the best day for to go to Bealach Cornaidh for the first time. Second mistake was not taking waders. Couldn't fish half of loch. Left early after catching (and releasing) eight fish, best 1/2 pound but most well under, one very thin. Small hatch of black flies - chironomid? Fish not fussy as long as it was small and black! MalcR Inverness
  • 1 year 10 weeks ago
    Suspect I was a little early in the year (4th May) but we'd had some good warm, sunny days albeit with a cold wind. Cathel was spot on with the time to the Loch, even for someone over 60 though it is a testing walk. The day was sunny with blue sky and very strong cool wind from north-east. First fished un-named lochan to the north and did better than on main Loch. I suspect that as it was smaller than the main Loch it had warmed up quicker. There were some olives hatching and I saw several rises, lost one good one but landed another 2 just over the pound, both returned. On the main Loch there were no rises, and no fly life hatching. The strong wind restricted where a "leftie" could fish so concentrated on South-west shore. Touched nothing until I spoke out and said that I would have one last cast. At literally that moment a fish was hooked. Was over 1lb but not 2lb. My most successful method was with a small nymph dressed with a tiny tungsten bead on point and let the flies swing round on their own in the waves. Wide range of patterns tried. A bit disappointing re fish seen but that's fishing and I will be back once things warm up a bit and my legs have recovered. With good views of hinds, golden plover, grouse, a lizard and wheatears it was still another great day in Assynt.
  • 1 year 11 weeks ago
    Very difficult loch to fish due to the clarity of the water. Best fished on a day with little wind and preferably from the north or north-east as swirling winds in the corrie can make casting near impossible. A single dry fly just allowed to drift in the ripple has been my most successful method.
  • 1 year 12 weeks ago
    Was up here last year (2016) in early May - a very bright, warm week that came immediately after heavy snowfall the week before. Climbed up to this loch without realising it was the Red Corrie - only read about it's noteriety (and that of it's near neighbour) after getting back home to Northumberland. As previous posters state it's fiersomely windy in the bowl of the mountain and it was almost impossible to get a line out further than a few feet. Was fishing dries - mostly small sedgehog types - on the way up in the smaller lochans that lie below the Red Corrie and got three or four to 1/2 pound (all returned safely). But sadly nothing showing at the Red Corrie itself - perhaps a combination of early in the season and the recent snow. However the location, the view and the crystal clear water were alone worth the effort of the climb. A truly breath-taking and stunning place. I'd say make the effort if the weather is good but be prepared to catch the view and not much else if the wind is up.
  • 1 year 13 weeks ago
    After a long drive from Glasgow, we did some late afternoon fishing at the Dog Loch. It was a bit windy (coming from north-west) but the surrounding hills gave shelter on the northern bank. After about an hour moving slowly away from the 'road-side' of the loch we got a 3/4 lb brown trout (northeast corner of the lake, deeper spot by a cliff). Nice meal for one person!
  • 1 year 21 weeks ago
    First visit to this Loch...we were staying at a caravan in Stoer during Easter of 1983 We fished in the last of the daylight into darkness and had a great time..... 12 trout up to 3lbs. I returned again and again and the fishing has been dour. Still hoping to recapture that first time.
  • Maiden Loch
    1 year 22 weeks ago
    i have fished this loch many times during the last 5 years ,as my first day up at loch inver ,as after a 5 and half drive up .i always start with a visit to a roadside loch .last year in september i caught my biggest trout from maiden loch ,a nice one just under the 1lb mark and loads of 8oz to 10oz,always fish point fly blue teal,dropper 1 olive bumble and a muddler ,when theres a chop on water a small black muddler deadly,night mare when midges are about.