Fishing Reports (by date)

Below you can find comments/fishing reports about places to fish in Assynt in date order (most recent first).
You can also see general comments left on the site, and all comments/fishing reports aggregated together.

• 4 weeks 1 day ago
    On the afternoon of Friday 7th June I headed off to Loch Poll an Droighinn. I walked up the croft road towards Lexy's Loch, but when I reached the first gate beside a cottage, I crossed the fence and headed up a track (shown on the OS map) to a ruined cottage, then I continued up and over to Loch Poll an Droighinn. The forecast was for the wind to move to the NE, so I worked up the East side - but found that the wind had actually a strong westerly component, making casting difficult. So I worked along the North bank, where casting is awkward due to the rising ground behind. I lost a good fish, then landed another which was just short of a pound on a small lure - a longshank 12 with a black body and wing, a silver rib and a red throat and tail. I moved round to the West bank, and the wind dropped and fly life became obvious. I switched to a size 12 Olive spider - and caught 4 trout in quick succession - all around the 3 to a pound mark (plus a tiddler). All trout were safely released from the debarbed hooks. Then it got colder, the fly life disappeared, as also did the trout! I gave up around 9pm. There was a black throated diver on the loch, and a second one flew in. Then later they seemed to disappear. I returned down the steep incline to Lexy's Loch and the croft road.
  • 4 weeks 1 day ago
    I previously have not tried these Lochs because of the long walk in, so this year I decided to investigate them with the aid of an e-bike. I have a folding e-bike which fits in my car's boot, and although it is classed as a Cross-City bike I thought I would give it a go on the Stoer Peat road which leads up to Loch na h-Uidhe Doimhne. The start of the track was smooth - until I passed the water treatment works, then it reverted to its original state - OK for a Land Rover or a Tractor or a Mountain bike, but a bit rough for my bike. However it got me there and back safely. There was a NE wind blowing down Loch na h-Uidhe Doimhne, so I worked my way down the East Bank to the small island, but had no luck. So I hiked across to Lochan Ruadh and tried around it - but again, no luck. I came back to Doimhne and tried the shallower end to the North East - and hooked a tiddler. That was my last success, even after trying a bit of the West Bank. I gave up around 9pm.
  • Loch Assynt
    4 weeks 1 day ago
    On Wednesday 5th June in the evening I headed off to Loch Assynt for a spot of bank fly fishing. I tried what seemed a likely area, a bit East from where the boats are normally anchored (around NC 2131 2508). I fished up and down this area with a variety of flies. A N wind helped with the casting. I gave up around 11pm, having had one splash, two tugs and some nibbles - but I didn't catch a single trout. A consolation was the glorious sunset around 10pm, and I also saw a pair of black throated divers.
  • 4 weeks 1 day ago
    I fished Loch Culag from the boat on Tuesday 4th June. The booking of the boat is now carried out at the Ship Chandlers down by Lochinver Harbour. I first had a good lunch at the Mission (now called An Cala Cafe), then headed off to the Loch. The boat is easy to launch by a single person, although waders are advised to avoid wet feet. Its a lovely stable (Lomond) boat, and the oars have wooden blocks with slots to sit over the pins on the boat - so they are not easily lost overboard! There was a modest west wind which was forecast to move round to the north. I fished over most of the loch - except for the shallow weedy SE corners. I used a variety of debarbed flies, and landed 9 trout in the 3 to a pound class, and lost lots more. My most successful pattern was a bushy Clan Chief. Then the fish stopped taking - maybe it was a combination of a strengthening N wind and a bright sun, so i gave up around 8pm. I returned the key through the letter box in the Ship Chandlers.
  • 4 weeks 1 day ago
    On Sunday afternoon, 2nd June, I set off for Lexy's Loch. It was overcast with a moderate SW to W wind. I fished along the south bank with a variety of flies - no luck and no sign of rising fish. Then around 6:30pm at the SE end, I hooked and landed (and returned) a dark-coloured brown trout which was close to a pound in weight. It took a size 12 long-shank mini-lure of the Sweeny Todd variety. The wind dropped as I worked my way back along westwards, and I noticed small white moths fluttering around, so I tried a size 12 fly with a light olive body and a white hackle. A sizeable trout accepted my offer, then performed aerial acrobatics until it cast off the debarbed hook. I like Lexy's Loch - you may have to wait for offers, but they are usually good sized fish.
  • Loch Assynt
    4 weeks 1 day ago
    Just off the phone to Peter to sort the usuals and he’s informed me that now I need to go through the Chandlery for all things fishing, just thought I’d mention for others who may be reading. Cheers, Max.
  • Loch Cul Fraoich
    16 weeks 3 days ago
    Have fished this many times over the last 10 yrs or so with numerous blanks. Have had some success but quite what brought about the success is hard to pinpoint. Afternoons seem to have been better and I’ve had luck with flies with a bit of green on them . It is a imo a really beautiful atmospheric loch and I’ll always give it ago. Back up May 2019.
  • 19 weeks 1 day ago
    After a comparatively mild winter they are likely to be bad in 2019. Tuck trousers into socks and shirts into trousers as the shirt/trouser and trouser/sock gap is the most likely place that they can get to you. Check your dog for ticks after it has run in long grass or heather. Local shops sell tick removal tools and it is sensible to carry one. I hike and wild camp several weeks in tick season and taking the above precautions has worked for me.
  • 19 weeks 3 days ago
    I was up for a month in June 2018 and had no ticks at all which is unusal as spend 4 nights on the hill most years. I have stopped wearing shorts and gaiters which was my favoured atire as they kept crawling upwards!! I have some nasty scars where knives have been used to extract the enemy from some akward areas. But generally there are more ticks around than in the past 40 years and more deer up around Suilven. Just keep checking yourself regularly and don't forget that you have freckles which look like ticks after too much whisky
  • Loch Cul Fraoich
    29 weeks 5 days ago
    I went several times in september following the worst of the heatwave, i was surprised to see everything so dry! I can only assume that the heat affected the fishing, as i went here several times and blanked!
  • Loch Na Gruagaich
    29 weeks 5 days ago
    I had a few hours here after the heat of the summer had abated. Warning signs of scrub fires dotted about the dry moorland. It was hard going and all the favourite stillwater traditionals failed. Eventually i changed to slim/epoxy buzzers which accounted for about 6 fish up to a pound. I've been here a few times as a love the hill lochs around this area, the majesty of the scenery is wonderful. Every time i've visited i've seen large fish right in the middle jumping clear of the water, but way out of casting range unfortunately.
  • 35 weeks 20 hours ago
    I spent two days and a night on the banks of Fionn Loch this June. The fishing was fantastic but I came back with over a dozen tick bites. I spend quite a lot of time in the hills but had only ever been bitten once before. Needless to say I'd think twice about wild camping up this way again, which is a shame.
  • 51 weeks 1 day ago
    As the nearest loch to our accommodation, I fished here several times, with and without my grandchildren. The loch is stuffed with hungry and obliging trout. Although we caught nothing over 6 oz. it is a splendid beginners loch. It is easier to fish it from a boat as most of the banks are steep and/or wooded. I found the north shore to be most productive and most of my fish came to a Bibio or Kate McLaren although they were not fussy. Although it is only 20 minutes from the road we had it to ourselves on every occasion.
  • 51 weeks 2 days ago
    Used the boat to get to the far end of Bad na Muirichinn and fished the two nearest hill lochs. Lots of small trout which came enthusiastically to anything fished on the surface.
  • 1 year 6 weeks ago
    Just following up this post about ticks. For advice and a free tick removal tool, go to: https://www.highland.gov.uk/info/1211/animal_welfare_and_pest_control/64... Not sure if they're worse than normal this year - what's people's experience? Adam
  • 1 year 6 weeks ago
    I fished this loch for an hour in late evening on 23/5/18. There was a moderate East wind, and I restricted my casting to the south west corner. I landed 4 fish ranging from 2 to 8oz on a size 12 with a silver body, red tag tail and teal wing. On my way back to the road I stumbled and fell in the heather. On the following day I discovered that my legs were covered in lumps from tiny ticks, which my wife carefully removed. I usually wear waterproof over-trousers which make it difficult for ticks to get a grip, but this time I was careless, and didn't wear them.
  • Loch Assynt
    1 year 6 weeks ago
    Monday 21/5/18 - a very wet start to the day.In the evening I tried bank fishing on Loch Assynt along where the road goes up to Kylesku. A stream enters at this point, so I tried (fly) casting around this area. One splash, but no takes. I headed out to the nearby point. but found that the rocks were lethally slippy, so I returned back along to where the boats are usually moored, and eventually hooked one small trout. Maybe at this time of year the fish are lying further out in the deeper water
  • 1 year 6 weeks ago
    On Saturday 19/5/18 I headed for Loch Poll an Droighinn. It was mild, but with a strong SW wind, and I fished from 11am to 4pm. The wind made casting impractical from the north and east banks, so I restricted most of my fishing to the west bank. I landed a sizeable (almost a pound?) trout on a longshank teal red and silver, and I lost a similar one when it leapt and cast off the debarbed hook. However I didn't get any offers from the smaller fish that usually inhabit this loch. There was a solitary great northern diver on the loch. On 22/5/18 I headed off in mid afternoon back to Loch Poll an Droighinn. It was overcast with a strong east wind, so I fished the south and east banks. Once again I landed a lovely trout in the pound class, and later a much smaller trout. The great northern diver had gone, but a pair of black-throated divers flew in, and they seemed as interested in me as I was in them. Indeed they came so close that I had to stop casting in their direction. Following advice from a local, I looked over to the small un-named loch to the north-east, but I didn't risk my flies in the shallow reedy water. I then dropped back down to Lexy's loch - report elsewhere.
  • 1 year 6 weeks ago
    Back in Lochinver for a week's fishing. Off to Lexy's loch in mid afternoon of 18/5/18. There was brisk West wind, with a slight rain which disappeared and there were glimpses of Sun. I fished the South Bank - there was a fair wave, and no fish moving. Around 6pm at the far SE end a lovely trout took a size 12 fly (metallic green body, silver rib, tippet tail and black hackle). It was about the length of a pounder, but possibly a bit too slim to make a full pound. Then later, back half way along the South bank, I hooked another similar sized trout on a Teal Red and Silver longshank 12. I finished around 8:30pm Once again off to Lexy's loch in late afternoon on 20/5/18. It was rainy with a SW wind, so I fished the South bank. I landed a trout in the pound class, and lost another similar trout when it leapt and lost the debarbed hook. Both took the Teal red and silver. I also landed a tiddler and another small fish (unusual for Lexy's Loch). On 22/5/18 I fished the loch above Lexy's, (Loch Poll an Droiginn), and in the evening I dropped down to Lexy's Loch, and with a strong, cold, east wind, I fished the North East bank, but had no takes. All fish safely returned.
  • 1 year 6 weeks ago
    One of the problems of fishing alone is the difficulty of using a boat. Most of the boats need at least two persons to drag them from the bank into the water, and vice versa. However the two boats on the Little Assynt all abilities path are more easily handled. Last year I took the boat on Loch Leitir Easidh, since it is moored conveniently beside a landing stage. This year on 17/5/18 I visited Peter to request the same boat, but it had not yet been launched, however I was offered the boat on Loch na h-Innse Fraoich. This is moored up on a ramp, and is relatively easy to launch, but it did require a bit manhandling to return it at the end of the day. The boat is excellent, but is suffers the same problem as the boat on Loch Leitir Easidh - the oars are too short, and are difficult to prevent jumping out of the rowlocks. This time I was prepared - and tied cord across the top of the rowlocks. I fished from about 5pm to 10pm. There was very little breeze, and splashes began to show as the sun went down. I tried a variety of flies, but the most successful were mini streamer files tied on debarbed longshank size 12 hooks. The most favoured had a black body, silver rib, black wing and red throat. It usually received attention if presented near a rising fish. The 8 fish landed (and released) were all small, and thin - probably around 4 to the pound. As the season progresses they probably will become three to a pound fish. HD
  • Lochan Sgeireach
    1 year 6 weeks ago
    May 31st 2018 Evenfull day bright. Red throated divers still there. Two fish one 1lb half biggest 6half pound taken on a Conamara dabbled ,other CDC
  • Fionn Loch
    1 year 49 weeks ago
    Absolutely brilliant! Went and visited Peter to get the permits sorted then myself and a friend headed up for some camping and boat fishing. First day I caught 11 and he had 2, second day was 20 for me and 10 for him with many others missed/lost including a Char hooked right into the boat by my friend that shook the hook as it was being brought up. Seen it though, nice and pink, chubby looking fish, took a pennell/zulu cross after it had been left to sink then retrieved. No fish bigger than the pound but plenty sport and great fun and memories made in front of Suilven. Lost a landing net in the water off the boat though, so if you end up fishing the far bank opposite the boat with a sinking line, you may hook yourself a prize! Flies used and accepted readily were Pennell/Zulu wet, Sedges (deer hair, daddy long legs and a yellow/red winged one) Bibio, Soldier Palmer, Mayfly emerger and as it was getting dark I used a white minnow wet fly which landed one and had three offers. Surprisingly small fish showing hard carnivorous tendencies up here! We have found our anglers paradise and will most definitely be back! David & Adam.
  • Loch an Arbhair
    1 year 51 weeks ago
    I was back at this loch on July 2017, and there was little improvement in access - the fence had been broken down a bit more, presumably by frustrated bank anglers.There was a strong East wind, so I fished the east bank from 9:30 till 11pm. I hooked and lost a trout on a debarbed teal red and silver mini-lure, and I landed one on a black mini-lure (returned).
  • Loch Leitir Easidh
    1 year 51 weeks ago
    On a bright sunny and warm (27C) July 2017 day, I decided to fish this loch moving up the east bank from the jetty. Immediately I realised the difference in an area protected by deer fencing - the heather and thyme was nearly waist high, and fishing from the bank was extremely difficult. I landed one small trout on a yellow palmer, and I hooked another very lively trout which took to the air and released itself from a debarbed black mini-lure. But I spent much of my time untangling my line from the heather. I don't know what the wading is like - I was wearing boots. On the following day (wednesday), there were gale force winds - so no fishing, but these moderated on the thursday, dropping to a near calm at times, so I decided to try the boat on this loch in the afternoon and evening. The boat is extremely stable, and is moored beside a jetty - so there is no need to pull it down from a bank - which can sometimes defeat a sole angler. But the rowlocks and the (new) oars were not ideal. I found that I needed to row with my hands uncomfortably high to bite the water, and on attempting to apply significant force, the oars jumped out of the rowlocks. I talked to Peter about this, and he advised starting off gently, and letting the speed of the boat build up, without the need to apply much force. I found little interest to flies pulled across the surface, and only started to contact fish when I let my flies sink slowly (on an intermediate line). I landed, and returned 5 trout, one of which was the blackest trout I have experienced. I carried out most of my fishing up the far end and along the east spur. I had most success with a size 12 long shank teal red and silver.
  • 1 year 51 weeks ago
    Back again in July 2017, I fished this loch in a strong SW wind for a couple of hours in late evening. The wind limited the area I was able to fish, and I caught (and released) one 3-to-a-pound trout, plus had many tweaks from tiddlers