Fishing Reports (by date)

Below you can find comments/fishing reports about places to fish in Assynt in date order (most recent first).
You can also see general comments left on the site, and all comments/fishing reports aggregated together.

• Lochan Fearna
    7 weeks 2 hours ago
    Hi Allan All the details for permits are on this site: http://www.assyntanglinginfo.org.uk/outlets You can't buy online, unfortunately. Hope that helps Adam
  • Lochan Sgeireach
    7 weeks 4 days ago
    Decided to give the loch a few casts at around 7.30pm. Caught a lovely brown trout of around 1.5 lbs. gave a fantastic fight, jumping out of the water, diving deep taking line. Took a good time to bring in. Nothing else seen, put him back, beautiful trout. Caught on a small black and silver.
  • 13 weeks 2 hours ago
    Cold and in bright sun didn't bode too well. Started very dour, but two great fish, one of 17 inches. Both on black pennel on the point, fished slowly.
  • Loch Beannach
    14 weeks 5 days ago
    Fished here today for a couple of hours. Nice setting, but you'll generally need to stick to the swims close to the path unless you want ticks, as the heather is waist height. The other side is tree lined and looks even less accessible. A few trout of half a pound, the rest were 1/4 pound. All fell to Invicta. I had a muddler dropper on but no takes on that.
  • Loch Awe
    16 weeks 2 days ago
    The day hadn't started too well. By lunchtime I had had three trout, best about 6oz. A second boat with three anglers had also taken three but all within the first hour. A stiff breeze had got up and they decided it wasn't going to be their day and were going to find something better to do with their afternoon. I had a rethink and tied on about 25 yards of nylon to the fly line. To the business end I attached a size 12 sedgehog. With my makeshift dapping setup, I lined up a drift between the islands. The wind strengthened and I was able to get the sedgehog a respectable distance from the boat. The first drift resulted in an unsuspecting trout making what might have been, at the hands of another angler, a fatal error. By time to leave time, I had taken an additional 8 fish, resulting in a total of a dozen with the best just shy of 3/4lb. The fish are most definitely in Loch Awe, all you have to do is work out how to get them out! As a footnote, on a subsequent visit, both my fishing companion and myself contacted salmon between the inlet and exit burns!!
  • Lochan Fearna
    17 weeks 3 days ago
    Hi there I’m looking to stay in Nedd in September and would like to know where I can purchase a day ticket in advance, possibly on-line. Many thanks. Kind Regards Allan Maxwell
  • Loch Veyatie
    26 weeks 5 days ago
    Was wondering if someone could clarify whether trolling is allowed on Veyatie now? I was under the impression that it was ok to troll for ferox in Veyatie, Cam, Assynt and Beannach, but after looking up the rules on the new AAG website, there was no mention of Veyatie. If this is the case with an AAG permit, is it still ok from a Ledmore boat? Many Thanks Graeme
  • Cam Loch
    47 weeks 5 days ago
    You're not allowed to fish with worms on Cam (or anywhere). It is fly, or trolling from a boat, only.
  • Cam Loch
    47 weeks 5 days ago
    got myself 3 big 5lb from here realy good on float and worms
  • Cam Loch
    1 year 1 week ago
    Hi Simon All the info about which permits are here: http://www.assyntanglinginfo.org.uk/outlets and here http://www.assyntanglinginfo.org.uk/?q=maps/boundary You will need am Eastern Zone Assynt Angling Group permit for Cam. Urigill is with the Oykell Bridge Hotel I think (outside the Assynt area): https://oykelbridgehotel.com/loch-fishing/guide-to-lochs/ Hope that helps Adam
  • Cam Loch
    1 year 1 week ago
    Hello, I am planning a trip to fish these lochs.I first learnt to fly fish some 20 years ago with friends on Loch Veyatie.can i get tickets and book a boat for myself only on theses lochs and where best to get permits.I will be camping in campsites.Will be heading up there this weds/thurs from Skye. Any info much appreciated Simon
  • Loch Dubh
    1 year 12 weeks ago
    Hi I have been in touch with the Assynt Angling Group - Loch Dubh is with them - and their permits will only be on sale from July 3rd. (FYI we are not sellers of permits). I am hoping to get a full update uploaded this weekend, I just need to find out a bit more detail on what's happening across the board. Best, Adam
  • Loch Dubh
    1 year 12 weeks ago
    Hii its too see if i could get 2 day permits for saterday for dubh lock ? Came across this lovley lock when we were sea fishing. Since our local river is very low with no rain at the moment we would like to try new places. Catch and release we do aswell
  • Loch Drumbeg
    1 year 24 weeks ago
    Had a great day in July 2018 with my mate. The fish may be smaller but they fight like wee buggers. Great fun but don't let everyone know. The setting is unbelievable
  • 2 years 13 weeks ago
    On the afternoon of Friday 7th June I headed off to Loch Poll an Droighinn. I walked up the croft road towards Lexy's Loch, but when I reached the first gate beside a cottage, I crossed the fence and headed up a track (shown on the OS map) to a ruined cottage, then I continued up and over to Loch Poll an Droighinn. The forecast was for the wind to move to the NE, so I worked up the East side - but found that the wind had actually a strong westerly component, making casting difficult. So I worked along the North bank, where casting is awkward due to the rising ground behind. I lost a good fish, then landed another which was just short of a pound on a small lure - a longshank 12 with a black body and wing, a silver rib and a red throat and tail. I moved round to the West bank, and the wind dropped and fly life became obvious. I switched to a size 12 Olive spider - and caught 4 trout in quick succession - all around the 3 to a pound mark (plus a tiddler). All trout were safely released from the debarbed hooks. Then it got colder, the fly life disappeared, as also did the trout! I gave up around 9pm. There was a black throated diver on the loch, and a second one flew in. Then later they seemed to disappear. I returned down the steep incline to Lexy's Loch and the croft road.
  • 2 years 13 weeks ago
    I previously have not tried these Lochs because of the long walk in, so this year I decided to investigate them with the aid of an e-bike. I have a folding e-bike which fits in my car's boot, and although it is classed as a Cross-City bike I thought I would give it a go on the Stoer Peat road which leads up to Loch na h-Uidhe Doimhne. The start of the track was smooth - until I passed the water treatment works, then it reverted to its original state - OK for a Land Rover or a Tractor or a Mountain bike, but a bit rough for my bike. However it got me there and back safely. There was a NE wind blowing down Loch na h-Uidhe Doimhne, so I worked my way down the East Bank to the small island, but had no luck. So I hiked across to Lochan Ruadh and tried around it - but again, no luck. I came back to Doimhne and tried the shallower end to the North East - and hooked a tiddler. That was my last success, even after trying a bit of the West Bank. I gave up around 9pm.
  • Loch Assynt
    2 years 13 weeks ago
    On Wednesday 5th June in the evening I headed off to Loch Assynt for a spot of bank fly fishing. I tried what seemed a likely area, a bit East from where the boats are normally anchored (around NC 2131 2508). I fished up and down this area with a variety of flies. A N wind helped with the casting. I gave up around 11pm, having had one splash, two tugs and some nibbles - but I didn't catch a single trout. A consolation was the glorious sunset around 10pm, and I also saw a pair of black throated divers.
  • 2 years 13 weeks ago
    I fished Loch Culag from the boat on Tuesday 4th June. The booking of the boat is now carried out at the Ship Chandlers down by Lochinver Harbour. I first had a good lunch at the Mission (now called An Cala Cafe), then headed off to the Loch. The boat is easy to launch by a single person, although waders are advised to avoid wet feet. Its a lovely stable (Lomond) boat, and the oars have wooden blocks with slots to sit over the pins on the boat - so they are not easily lost overboard! There was a modest west wind which was forecast to move round to the north. I fished over most of the loch - except for the shallow weedy SE corners. I used a variety of debarbed flies, and landed 9 trout in the 3 to a pound class, and lost lots more. My most successful pattern was a bushy Clan Chief. Then the fish stopped taking - maybe it was a combination of a strengthening N wind and a bright sun, so i gave up around 8pm. I returned the key through the letter box in the Ship Chandlers.
  • 2 years 13 weeks ago
    On Sunday afternoon, 2nd June, I set off for Lexy's Loch. It was overcast with a moderate SW to W wind. I fished along the south bank with a variety of flies - no luck and no sign of rising fish. Then around 6:30pm at the SE end, I hooked and landed (and returned) a dark-coloured brown trout which was close to a pound in weight. It took a size 12 long-shank mini-lure of the Sweeny Todd variety. The wind dropped as I worked my way back along westwards, and I noticed small white moths fluttering around, so I tried a size 12 fly with a light olive body and a white hackle. A sizeable trout accepted my offer, then performed aerial acrobatics until it cast off the debarbed hook. I like Lexy's Loch - you may have to wait for offers, but they are usually good sized fish.
  • Loch Assynt
    2 years 13 weeks ago
    Just off the phone to Peter to sort the usuals and he’s informed me that now I need to go through the Chandlery for all things fishing, just thought I’d mention for others who may be reading. Cheers, Max.
  • Loch Cul Fraoich
    2 years 25 weeks ago
    Have fished this many times over the last 10 yrs or so with numerous blanks. Have had some success but quite what brought about the success is hard to pinpoint. Afternoons seem to have been better and I’ve had luck with flies with a bit of green on them . It is a imo a really beautiful atmospheric loch and I’ll always give it ago. Back up May 2019.
  • 2 years 28 weeks ago
    After a comparatively mild winter they are likely to be bad in 2019. Tuck trousers into socks and shirts into trousers as the shirt/trouser and trouser/sock gap is the most likely place that they can get to you. Check your dog for ticks after it has run in long grass or heather. Local shops sell tick removal tools and it is sensible to carry one. I hike and wild camp several weeks in tick season and taking the above precautions has worked for me.
  • 2 years 28 weeks ago
    I was up for a month in June 2018 and had no ticks at all which is unusal as spend 4 nights on the hill most years. I have stopped wearing shorts and gaiters which was my favoured atire as they kept crawling upwards!! I have some nasty scars where knives have been used to extract the enemy from some akward areas. But generally there are more ticks around than in the past 40 years and more deer up around Suilven. Just keep checking yourself regularly and don't forget that you have freckles which look like ticks after too much whisky
  • Loch Cul Fraoich
    2 years 39 weeks ago
    I went several times in september following the worst of the heatwave, i was surprised to see everything so dry! I can only assume that the heat affected the fishing, as i went here several times and blanked!
  • Loch Na Gruagaich
    2 years 39 weeks ago
    I had a few hours here after the heat of the summer had abated. Warning signs of scrub fires dotted about the dry moorland. It was hard going and all the favourite stillwater traditionals failed. Eventually i changed to slim/epoxy buzzers which accounted for about 6 fish up to a pound. I've been here a few times as a love the hill lochs around this area, the majesty of the scenery is wonderful. Every time i've visited i've seen large fish right in the middle jumping clear of the water, but way out of casting range unfortunately.